FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

FCA humbled in 3-0 home defeat against Leverkusen

First Team 28.09.2019, 16:55
FC Augsburg’s wait for a first Bundesliga victory over Bayer Leverkusen continues after a 3-0 loss on Saturday afternoon. FCA head coach Martin Schmidt make two changes to the team that drew 1-1 away at Freiburg last week. Reece Oxford made his first start of the season in midfield and Iago made his first-team debut at left-back after coming back from an injury. Jan Moravek and Andre Hahn started on the bench. FCA pressured Leverkusen from the start with extremely high pressing. Augsburg pressed effectively, looked for counter-attacks and were able to disjoint the passing of a strong Leverkusen side. Leverkusen had 80% possession at times, but were still unable to find a way through the Augsburg defence. The bulk of the action took place in midfield, as Augsburg frequently lost possession as soon as they achieved it. As the game continued, FCA let up the intensity of their pressing game slightly, which spurred Leverkusen on to take advantage of the tiredness and newfound slack in the Augsburg formation. Tomáš Koubek was forced to make his first real save of the game when he parried Lucas Alario’s goalbound effort wide, but he was beaten shortly after (33’). Nadiem Amiri’s wicked cross was misjudged by Florian Niederlechner, who headed it into his own net and gave Bayer the lead just before the break. Volland makes it 2-0 – Havertz settles it After the break, the game initially looked similar to how it had started in the first half. Although FCA maintained a slightly high pressing game, Leverkusen still looked to be more likely to score again. A deflected shot from Kevin Volland landed on the top netting (51’) and Koubek was on hand to catch a dangerous Volland free kick that was headed towards the top corner (64’).  FCA lacked accuracy in the final third, and there was a noticeable lack of any significant Augsburg efforts on goal for much of the game. The first substantial effort on the Leverkusen goal came through substitute Julian Schieber, who fired a shot on target from the edge of the box, forcing a save from Leverkusen goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky (72’). At the other end of the pitch, Leverkusen finished a slick counter-attacking move off with a chipped finish over the onrushing Koubek to give the visitors a 2-0 lead (76’). Capping off a similarly well-executed attack, Kai Havertz was free in the box to pass the ball past the once-again helpless Koubek and seal the 3-0 win for Leverkusen. The game ended in defeat for FCA, as they are still on a wait for a win against Leverkusen. Next up for FCA is an away match against Borussia Mönchengladbach on Sunday, 6th October (13:30 CEST).


Bayer 04 Leverkusen
First Team