FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg
Ermedin Demirović und Phillip Tietz jubeln nach dem 1:0-Treffer gegen Union Berlin

FC Augsburg Augsburg

plays against

Union Berlin Union Berlin

2 0
Tobias Stieler

Friday night delight! FCA beat Union Berlin 2-0

Goals courtesy of Tietz and Michel

First Team 12.04.2024, 22:37

FC Augsburg and 1. FC Union Berlin contested the first game of matchday 29 of the 2023/24 Bundesliga season on Friday evening. FCA impressed in front of the 29,731-strong crowd, particularly thanks to a hearty second-half showing, securing a deserved 2-0 victory.

As was the case last week, FCA head coach Jess Thorup had to do without the injured Kevin Mbabu, Fredrik Jensen and Iago for this home fixture against the capital-city side. This game also came too early for Kristijan Jakić, who came off with an injury after just twelve minutes against Hoffenheim last time out. As a result, Daniel Hausmann and David Deger of the U23s were named in the first-team squad for the first time, and Tim Breithaupt returned to the starting XI.

The home side set up with a back four against the visitors from Köpenick. Jeffrey Gouweleeuw and Felix Uduokhai started at the heart of the defence alongside full-backs Maximilian Bauer and Mads Pedersen, who was making his 100th competitive appearance for FCA. 

Under the lights and in front of a sold-out crowd at the WWK ARENA, the two teams measured each other up in the first half and concentrated on a compact defence. This led to a lot of contests for the ball, but a lack of chances for either side, and it remained goalless at the break.

Tietz scores quickly after half time, sub Michel doubles FCA’s advantage

An unchanged but highly motivated home side came out for the second half, and just a couple minutes after the restart, Phillip Tietz found himself through on Union’s goal after capitalising on a misplaced pass from their defence. Although Fredrik Rönnow made himself big, he could do nothing to prevent the opening goal (48’) and what was Tietz’s eighth goal of the season.

The hosts continued to get forward. Ermedin Demirović brought out a backheel in the opposition’s penalty area, looking for Vargas, but an Union leg intervened (57’). A few minutes later, Jeffrey Gouweleeuw let fly on the turn after Arne Maier’s free kick was deflected, but the FCU keeper was equal to his effort (64’).

Substitute Sven Michel’s moment was then to come, and after being supplied by Arne Maier, the attacker fired a powerful shot down the centre of the Union goal as he made it 2-0 against his former club (82’). Initially, the linesman’s flag went up for offside, but a VAR check confirmed a fair goal had been scored. Pep Biel. Patric Pfeiffer and Mert Kömur, who was making his first home appearance following on from his first-team debut against Hoffenheim had since entered the pitch.

The score would remain 2-0 come the final whistle, and the result means that FCA hold on to seventh place in the table (39 points). FCA’s next fixture is another Friday night bout away to Eintracht Frankfurt (19th April, 20:30 CEST).

Unsere FCA-APP

Jetzt herunterladen!