FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg
Patric Pfeiffer im Spiel in Leipzig

RB Leipzig RB Leipzig

plays against

FC Augsburg Augsburg

3 0
Sascha Stegemann

3-0 defeat in Leipzig

Three first-half goals for the home team

First Team 16.09.2023, 17:33

FC Augsburg travelled to Leipzig for their second away game of the season as the Bundesliga returned following the international break. The home team were 3-0 up at the break and that remained the final scoreline.

Coach Enrico Maaßen made two changes to the team that drew 2-2 against VfL Bochum last time out. Kevin Mbabu, who appeared for the first time in the 2-1 friendly win over Greuther Fürth, was handed his competitive debut for the club. Summer signing Patric Pfeiffer also played his first Bundesliga game after serving his suspension. FCA switched to a back-three/five for this matchday 4 clash.

The men in black started well, putting together a decent move in just the third minute. Ermedin Demirović slipped Dion Beljo in behind the defence and he shot with his left foot. However, Leipzig defender Castello Lukeba slid in to block the strike at the last second. The fast start continued as the home team went up the other end and took their first chance of the afternoon. Xavi Simons’ diving header from an Openda cross gave them the lead after seven minutes.

The reigning DFB-Pokal winners were extremely clinical early on and took their next two chances as well. Simons turned provider this time, setting up Openda for a low finish (11’). Their third goal came from a quick attack, with Yussuf Poulsen fizzing a ball to the back post for David Raum, who hammered it in from close range (27’). FCA goalkeeper Finn Dahmen was left with no chance for all three goals, but did at least get to make a save just before the break, denying Openda’s right-footed attempt (40’). To make matters worse for Augsburg, Niklas Dorsch was forced off injured at the end of the first half. He was replaced by Arne Engels (45+2’).

Three changes at the break

Maaßen made further substitutions at the break, introducing Jeffrey Gouweleeuw, Iago and Phillip Tietz to the game. FCA put in a better performance in the second half and threatened the Leipzig goal more frequently too. Tietz saw his header well saved by Blaswich (48’) and then captain Demirović couldn’t believe the Leipzig goalkeeper kept his effort out from close range (56’).

FCA actually were the better team in the second half and continued to push for a way back into the game. A header from Pfeiffer went wide (68’), before Vargas fired a few yards past the post (75’). Augsburg ultimately could not pull one back and referee Sascha Stegemann blew up after three minutes of injury time.

FCA’s next game is on Saturday, 23rd September (15:30 CEST) at home to 1. FSV Mainz 05. Both teams are yet to win a league game so far this season.

Unsere FCA-APP

Jetzt herunterladen!