FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

FC Augsburg Augsburg

plays against

Werder Bremen Werder Bremen

2 0
Robert Schröder

2-0 win vs. Bremen! FCA secure safety

Vargas sent off early on – Khedira and Caligiuri score

First Team 15.05.2021, 17:29

FC Augsburg can look forward to an 11th season of Bundesliga football! The club secured safety with one matchday to spare, winning 2-0 in a dramatic affair against SV Werder Bremen that included two red cards. 

Head coach Markus Weinzierl made no changes to last weekend’s starting XI in Stuttgart (2-1 defeat). 

Both teams were looking to score right from the start, as the first chance of the game fell to Niclas Füllkrug, whose shot sailed wide of goal (8’). Crunching tackles abounded during the opening minutes, as FCA went down to 10 men after just 15 minutes. Ruben Vargas and Theodor Gebre Selassie were involved in a collision in midfield, as referee Robert Schröder then gave Vargas a straight red after VAR intervention (13’). 

FCA were forced to sit back after going a man down. Despite the advantage, Bremen failed to pose a threat in front of goal. Reece Oxford blocked Joshua Sargent’s shot (21’) before Iago prevented another Sargent effort from finding its target (28’). FCA were under constant pressure, but did well to deal with the setback of being a man short. Davie Selke narrowly missed just before the break (44’), while Marco Richter had a close-range shot saved by Jiri Pavlenka (45+2’). 

Groß sent off as well – Khedira puts FCA on course for victory

Just four minutes into the second half, Werder also found themselves down to 10 men. A late challenge from Christian Groß on Florian Niederlechner saw him get his marching orders after being shown a second yellow (49’). FCA now found themselves on the attack, as Rani Khedira’s shot sailed just wide (53’). The hosts would take the lead just minutes later. Werder were unable to clear a corner from Richter, as Khedira poked home the opener (57’). 

Augsburg sat back to protect their lead, but continued to pose a threat. Niederlechner headed just wide (69’), while Leonardo Bittencourt was unfortunate to hit the post down the other end (72’). FCA did well to keep their opponents at bay, as Iago (78’) and László Bénes (84’) both had efforts saved by Werder’s Pavlenka. The hosts would then add a second in the dying minutes, as André Hahn was taken down in the box. Daniel Caligiuri stepped up to convert the penalty in the 90th minute (2-0). 

The dramatic result means that FCA have secured safety, with just one matchday to play. Next Saturday (22nd May, 15:30 CEST), the club will end the season away at FC Bayern München.



SV Werder Bremen