FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

Eintracht Frankfurt Eintracht Frankfurt

plays against

FC Augsburg Augsburg

0 0
Harm Osmers

FCA battle to a 0-0 draw in Frankfurt

Niederlechner and Morávek come off injured

First Team 21.08.2021, 17:32

FC Augsburg picked up their first Bundesliga point of the season on matchday 2, holding Eintracht Frankfurt to a goalless draw at the Deutsche Bank Park. However, there were two dampeners on an otherwise positive day.

Head coach Markus Weinzierl made two changes to the side beaten 4-0 by TSG Hoffenheim last weekend. Recce Oxford returned to the fold after recovering from a meniscus injury, replacing Jeffrey Gouweleeuw, who is out with adductor problems. The other change saw Fredrik Jensen drop the bench to make room for Raphael Framberger.

Framberger took on a much more attacking role on the right-hand side than usual, but he worked hard to help right-back Robert Gumny deal with the threat of Filip Kostic. The Eagles enjoyed more of the ball, but FCA were attentive in their defensive duties, as Oxford was able to deny Rafael Santos Borré with a last-ditch block (12’). There was little to see from Augsburg going forward in the first half, however, no doubt in part due to Florian Niederlechner’s withdrawal following a collision with former FCA player Martin Hinteregger. Jensen took the injured striker’s place after 18 minutes.

Frankfurt looked a little more dangerous towards the end of the half, and Rafał Gikiewicz had to make two good saves in three minutes to twice keep out Jens Petter Hauge (38’, 41’). The last action of the opening 45 was a long-range effort from Ajdin Hrustic that flew just over the target (45+2’).

Morávek also forced off – Gruezo’s long-ranger just over

There were two just minutes gone in the second half when Weinzierl was forced to make another change. This time it was Jan Morávek who picked up an injury, and he was replaced by Carlos Gruezo (47’). Eintracht continued to control proceedings, only for Gikiewicz to continue to frustrate them, keeping out Kostic (55’) and then Hrustic (57’). A mistake at the back from Frankfurt gave FCA a rare opportunity at the other end, although Gruezo’s quick-thinking effort from distance landed on the roof of the net. 

Eintracht upped the tempo in the closing stages and the Augsburg defence had to be in the right place at the right time. Oxford was on hand again with a crucial block to keep out Daichi Kamada (77’), while Gikiwiecz produced another stop at his near-post against Borre (78’), securing a clean sheet and a 0-0 away draw.

The point is FCA’s first of the new Bundesliga campaign, and the hunt for more continues next Saturday, 28th August, when Bayer 04 Leverkusen come to Augsburg (15:30 CEST).

Unsere FCA-APP

Jetzt herunterladen!

Eintracht Frankfurt