FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

1-1 draw with Borussia Mönchengladbach in opening home game

First Team 01.09.2018, 20:06
FC Augsburg shared the spoils after their opening home fixture against Borussia Mönchengladbach ended 1-1. FCA took an early lead through Michael Gregoritsch and dominated for the majority of the game. After a brief loss of concentration in the second half, they had to settle for a point. Manuel Baum made one change to the team, which beat Fortuna Düsseldorf 2-1 last weekend. Ja-Cheol Koo came in for Caiuby as the Brazilian took his place on the bench. The game quickly developed into a lively affair. After just two minutes, Jonathan Schmid put in a crucial clearance to deny Thorgan Hazard. At the other end of the pitch, a Marco Richter shot fizzed over the bar (6’). Moments later, the ball nestled itself in the back of the Gladbach net. Philipp Max floated a long ball in to Gregoritsch, who controlled it beautifully with his chest before hammering it home to give FCA a 1-0 lead (12’). Gouweleeuw on the goal-line Gladbach were quick to respond with a good chance, that almost reaped an equaliser. However, Jeffrey Gouweleeuw made a goal-saving block on the line to keep out Fabian Johnson’s shot. Richter immediately went on the attack, yet fired his effort straight into the grasp of Yann Sommer (17’). In the final period of the half, the game lost a great deal of its earlier intensity as the football was largely played in the middle of the park. Right before the break, Gregoritsch almost doubled FCA’s advantage from a corner (45’) and Richter tested Sommer once again, yet no further ground could be made before the whistle blew. FCA charging to victory, before Plea spoils the party Gladbach came out of the blocks with a pep in their step, yet Augsburg had the first chance of the half as Sommer somehow managed to keep out Gregoritsch’s close-range effort (48’). Gladbach’s buoyed intensity began to cause problems, but once again the ball found Gregoritsch in a dangerous area. His header from a corner failed, however, to threaten the visitors’ goal (59’). Max’s long-range effort moments later was also swept up by Yann Sommer. Augsburg remained compact and stubborn in defence, until a brief blip in the 68th minute. Gladbach whipped in a corner, which found an unmarked Alassane Plea at the far post, who headed his side back into the game. The goal spurred on the Foals as Hazard’s effort almost found the net (72’). In the final stages, FCA found their shape again and remained solid. Neither team risked pushing for the win. In injury time, Martin Hinteregger had the last chance of the day as he nodded a corner inches north of the crossbar. The affair ended 1-1, meaning FCA walk away with a strong four-point balance after two games. After the international break, Augsburg will travel to 1. FSV Mainz 05 on Saturday 15th September (15:30 CEST).


First Team