FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

FC Augsburg Augsburg

plays against

Werder Bremen Werder Bremen

0 3
Tobias Welz

FCA suffer 3-0 defeat against Werder

Disappointing defeat in front of sold-out crowd

First Team 27.04.2024, 17:27

FC Augsburg faced off against SV Werder Bremen on Saturday afternoon. The game served as an opportunity to commemorate FCA winning the Regionalliga Süd in the 73/74 season, but there was little for the home side to celebrate on the pitch, with Werder triumphing 3-0. 

Head coach Jess Thorup stuck with the same side that lost 3-1 in Frankfurt last weekend. Left-back Iago didn’t make the squad, as the Brazilian is still struggling with a foot injury.

The fans were in fine voice for the clash between two famous old clubs and organised a special tifo honouring the side that won the Regionalliga Süd in 1974. The team of FCA legends gathered on the touchline before kick-off and were officially honoured by the club. There was a stark contrast between the scenes on and off the pitch, however, as FCA and SVW  both started tentatively and mostly duked it out in the middle of the park.

Augsburg gave their supporters something to cheer around eight minutes into the encounter, but the joy was short-lived. Ruben Vargas rose highest in the five-yard box before Kevin Mbabu nodded the ball into the back of the net. However, the referee disallowed the goal for a foul on Werder keeper Michael Zetterer. The visitors were posing a real threat down the flanks and Marvin Ducksch had two golden opportunities following crosses, but saw both of his efforts go wide (17’, 43’). The Green-Whites looked to have opened the scoring in the 36th minute, but centre-back Marco Friedl was clearly offside in the build-up to the goal.

Werder pull ahead

Thorup made a tactical switch at the start of the second half, bringing on Patric Pfeiffer as an additional defensive player. The Fuggerstädter – wearing special jerseys to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the club’s title-winning 1973/74 Regionalliga Süd campaign – conceded the first goal of the game shortly after the restart, however. Romano Schmid turned in Ducksch’s free-kick at the far post to make it 1-0 to the Green-Whites.

Just six minutes later, the referee pointed to the spot after a coming-together between Pfeiffer and Felix Agu. Ducksch stepped up to convert the penalty, despite Dahmen getting a hand to it (61’). While FCA continued to struggle to carve out opportunities, Ducksch had a chance to make it 3-0 in the 71st minute, but his effort sailed well over the bar.

Bremen added a third goal in the 90th minute as Deman converted a cross from close range. The final whistle at the sold-out WWK ARENA came shortly afterwards. FCA, who remain eighth in the table, will host Borussia Dortmund next week (Saturday 4th May, 15:30 CEST).

Unsere FCA-APP

Jetzt herunterladen!