FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

Borussia M'gladbach Borussia M'gladbach

plays against

FC Augsburg Augsburg

5 1
Robert Schröder

FCA laid low in 5-1 defeat against Borussia Mönchengladbach

First Team 07.10.2019, 01:03

On a rainy Sunday afternoon, FC Augsburg were heavily beaten 5-1 by a strong Gladbach side. FCA could not have wished for a worse start to the game. Not two minutes had passed before Augsburg were dispossessed in the centre circle, and Marcus Thuram was away down the left side. His cross found Denis Zakaria in the middle, who subsequently scored to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. Up the other end of the pitch a minute later, Florian Niederlechner had FCA’s first effort at goal, but his shot was deflected near the goal (6’). Two minutes later Gladbach had scored again. A low cross from Alassane Plea found Patrick Herrmann in the area who tapped in to double the hosts’ lead (8’). FCA shortly after were on the attack, and Michael Gregoritsch set Andre Hahn free on goal, but his shot was again deflected over the bar. Tomas Koubek parried the next Gladbach shot from their subsequent counter. Five minutes later, Gladbach yet again increased the deficit as Patrick Herrmann scored his second following a one-two with Plea to make it 3-0 (13’). Plea makes the score 4-0 – Referee not interested in penalty appeal After the first 15 minutes the game began to calm down slightly, but Gladbach was still dominating. FCA had no way into the game, and in this part of the match were limited to just two chances: a free-kick by Philipp Max that found nobody (21’), and a long-range Rani Khedira miss (32’). On the other hand, Koubek was forced to make a stunning save to keep out László Benes’ free kick, but was caught in possession three minutes later by Plea who made the score 4-0. Shortly before half-time there was some controversy after Andre Hahn appeared to have been fouled by Gladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer in the penalty area. However, after consulting with the video referee, referee Robert Schröder decided not to award a penalty. Niederlechner scores consolation goal – Embolo delivers final blow FCA started the second half having made two half-time substitutions, with Raphael Framberger and Reece Oxford entering the fray. But compared to the first half, the second was relatively quieter. Gladbach still dominated possession, but slowed the game down more. For a long time neither team had a chance to score until the 75th minute, where Raphael Framberger had to clear a Gladbach effort off the line, and the resulting FCA counterattack saw Florian Niederlechner one-on-one with Yann Sommer, who tipped the German’s effort onto the post with his fingertips. But Niederlechner was not to be denied, and five minutes later found the back of the net, pouncing on teammate Fredrik Jensen’s parried effort to score and reduce the arrears to 4-1 (80’). However, the four-goal gap was restored shortly after as Herrmann powered a long ball to Breel Embolo, who put the final nail in the coffin with a tidy finish (83’). Embolo almost had a brace a couple of minutes later, but Koubek was able to deny him. In the final few minutes Ruben Vargas managed to an effort on goal, but neither his attempt nor the subsequent Philipp Max corner found their way into the Gladbach net (88’). After the international break, Augsburg’s next Bundesliga match is at home against Bayern Munich on Saturday, 19th October (15:30 CEST).