FC Augsburg Logo FC Augsburg

FC Augsburg Augsburg

plays against

Heidenheim Heidenheim

3 1

3-1 friendly win over Heidenheim

FCA come from behind

First Team 26.03.2021, 16:01

FC Augsburg defeated 1. FC Heidenheim 3-1 in a friendly on Friday afternoon. The Bundesliga 2 side took the lead early on, but FCA turned the game on its head to secure a win.

FCA were without Michael Gregoritsch and Ruben Vargas for the friendly, with both attackers away on international duty. Head coach Heiko Herrlich gave minutes to players who haven’t featured much recently, while Jeffrey Gouweleeuw, Raphael Framberger, Mads Pedersen, Marco Richter and Rafał Gikiewicz were all given a rest. Felix Uduokhai was given the captain’s armband and Tomáš Koubek was named in goal.

Heidenheim had the first chance of the game after FCA lost possession and they duly took full advantage of it. Robert Leipertz’s long-range effort nestled in the top corner, leaving Koubek with no chance (5’). The Fuggerstädter’s first notable opportunity came through Florian Niederlechner, who cleared the bar from the edge of the box.

In the 31st minute, André Hahn, who came on for an injured Niederlechner, had a shot blocked, which then fell to Robert Gumny. He had the awareness to find László Bénes and the Slovakian levelled the scoreline, despite FCH goalkeeper Vitus Eicher getting a hand to his strike. Herrlich’s side then took the lead five minutes later. Daniel Caligiuri’s corner was flicked back across goal by Marek Suchý and headed home by Hahn to make it 2-1, which is how the first half ended.

Hahn nets a brace

Augsburg made two changes for the second half, with Adrien Koudelka and Tobias Strobl replacing Uduokhai and Rani Khedira. The Fuggerstädter quickly added to their lead, again from a set piece. Hahn got on the end of a Bénes corner to score his second of the game (47’). The game suffered somewhat from the numerous substitutions after this goal. Heidenheim looked to push on but couldn’t really break down FCA’s defence.

Jan Morávek and Alfred Finnbogason made their comeback from injury in the 73rd minute. FCH pressed higher up the pitch towards the end of the game and looked to win the ball back quickly. Nevertheless, Augsburg were still on top. Three set pieces in the final 10 minutes caused problems without creating any more goals.

FCA are next in action on Saturday, 3rd April (15:30 CEST) at home against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.

FCA: Koubek – Gumny, Oxford, Suchý, Uduokhai (46’ Koudelka) – Khedira (46’ Strobl), Gruezo – Caligiuri (65’ Petkov), Bénes (73’ Morávek), Sarenren Bazee (73’ Ivanovic) – Niederlechner (18’ Hahn/73’ Finnbogason)

Goals: 0-1 Leipertz (5’), 1-1 Bénes (31’), 2-1 Hahn (36’), 3-1 Hahn (47’)